Wednesday 21 September 2011

Scientists/Researchers to follow on Twitter

From Jennol (2011). Retrieved September 21, 2011 from Flickr:http://flickr.com/photos/jennol/6458631381/
Hello all,

I have been learning how to use Twitter in my Social Media class ALES 204 at the UofA. I knew when I opened the account that I wanted to use it for educational purposes, I was not going to get lost in the "twittersphere" droning on about what I ate for lunch, as discussed on the video Twouble with Twitters @ www.youtube.com. I therefore had to figure out who were legitimate scientists that tweeted information I could trust. At first this seemed like a difficult task, until my lab TA, Courtney suggested searching Google scholar to see if these scientists were published. Once I found a published scientist I could view the other scientists in their fields that they followed on Twitter, and as you can imagine, my list of people to follow grew quite quickly.

I have listed my top 5 to follow. If you have any interest in wildlife or conservation, these are the an excellent start for your Twitter education.

1. @JaneGoodallCAN
This is where my love for animals and conservation all started. When I was young my parents gave me a set of her books and I was fascinated. My interest blossomed from there, and now I'm working towards a Conservation degree.

2. @OneSimpleAct
This one is close to home. It's an Albertan Conservation team that educates the public on what we can do to conserve in our everyday life's.

3. @NatureNews
This is a well respected magazine based out of London. They provide up to date science news on all types of topics. It has something for all of our scientific interests.

4. @Michael_GR
He is a respected journalist who works for the Discovery channel on Discovery Green. He is a tree hugger like me, and I find his tweets are full of environmental related links.

5. @DucksUnlimited
The best outcome from my degree would be landing a job working on habitat conservation. Ducks Unlimited are one of the leaders in Wetland Conservation.

If Twitter is not for you, but you would like to meet others studying to become Biologists please check out my classmates blog @ http://kihildeb.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your time!

2 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous list of researchers! Although I am not in a wildlife or conservation program, I still find the work done by the people/organizations listed here to be fascinating and so important to the health of the environment. I also very much respect the work done by Jane Goodall, and I was very excited to see her name listed here.

    I, like you, never realized the educational aspects of Twitter before ALES 204, and I was also excited to see that researchers in my field were utilizing this communication medium. Despite its casual design, Twitter could be a very helpful tool in finding a job or possible research topic in your field of interest. I hope that you end up connecting an appropriate conservation habitat, definitely seems like important and worthwhile career.

    I also found your work in the CSL program to be interesting, and although this isn't the right blog post, your poster looks excellent and well-organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Cassandra! I totally agree with you, Twitter can be a really great resource when you find good, knowledgable scientists to follow. I thought I would hate it, but turns out there are so many great scientists and groups who share important advancements and discoveries in my field.
    Thanks for the great post!

    Mallory

    ReplyDelete